Soemetimes aromatherapy is just the thing to support us mentally to relaaxxxx and go with the flow. The payoff for this state of being is remarkable in general, and especially when it comes to conception and early pregnancy.
I like to think all of parenthood basically boils down to 2 roads to pregnancy: The “oops!” road and the “omg I (/ my significant other) wants this so much so much so much – more than anything!” road.
Either way you show up at the maternity store, this post is for you.
Aromatherapy is a powerful healing agent for mind, body and soul. All 3 in great health are the crucial ingredients for a healthy Mom and Baby. The question arises about which essential oils are safe during pre-conception and early pregnancy, which is why I wrote this post.
The essential oils I recommend all come from the Young Living brand. Why? So many reasons. To narrow it down here are a few:
- All oils are produced using only Young Living crops.
- All Young Living crops are 100% organic, pesticide free, and herbicide free.
- All Young Living crops are harvested at peak times.
- Young Living guarantees that their oils contain no additives and are completely pure (un-adulterated).
- Young Living monitors the distillation process and guarantees therapeutic grade edible quality oils.
You can purchase Young Living oils at a greatly reduced price if you sign up for their wholesale program. Even if you don’t want to sell to others, simply setting up the account will get you your own oils at a much lower price. To sign up to be a wholesaler with Young Living and get your oils at discounted prices, click HERE.
Safe Oils During Conception and Early Pregnancy
My recommendation for early pregnancy is conservative. I believe in the body’s natural wisdom during pregnancy. Especially during early pregnancy, when the cells are rapidly dividing and key organ systems are developing, I recommend a few precautions when using essential oils. First, I don’t agree with ingesting oils during the first trimester. Second, it is important to remember that a little bit of essential oil goes a long way in pregnancy. The body is extremely responsive, and essential oils by nature are highly concentrated.
Oils Generally Considered Safe During Early Pregnancy:
- Lavender (headache, insomnia, anxiety, blood pressure, relaxation)
- Lemon (nausea, heartburn, cough, headache, immune enhancing)
- Lime (energizing, nausea)
- Orange (calming, energizing, nausea, immune enhancing)
- Grapefruit (nausea, headaches, energizing)
- Rose (calming, insomnia, anxiety)
- Roman Chamomile (asthma, cough, headaches)
- Bergamot (calming, soothing, energizing)
- Ylang Ylang (anxiety)
- Geranium (fatigue, energizing, calming)
Oils to Avoid During Pregnancy:
- Clary Sage
These oils have a resonance with the reproductive energy and the ability to affect hormone levels. For this reason it is recommended to avoid using them throughout pregnancy. I choose to recommend cutting them out for pre-conception as well.
What to Do with Essential Oils During Early Pregnancy:
The best way to use essential oils during pregnancy is to diffuse them, add a few drops to baths, and to dilute them with a carrier oil such as coconut oil and apply them to various points on the body. While it is not necessary, I like to dilute the oils in the same ways I would if using them on babies because ultimately during conception and early pregnancy we have our own energy and the energy of the baby present.
Most importantly, listen to your body and yourself. The oils are meant to help you feel relaxed, vibrant, and healthy. If for any reason while using them you feel worse, worried, or your gut says no, listen to yourself and discontinue use.